Reduced Hours Notice
As part of the effort to slow the spread of the COVID- virus, along with the decisions recently made pertaining to the safety of Allegany County residents and surrounding counties, the services we provide in the Treasurer’s office have been modified as follows:
- The 2020 Allegany County Tax Sale is postponed until further notice. We will no longer sell any catalogs and advise that you do not visit the County Courthouse to perform any title search on any of the properties.
- Any payments made to the County for unpaid taxes should be made by mall or we do accept payments using credit and debit cards online. Please use the county website www.alleqanyco.com to pay electronically. We have in the past and will continue to honor postmarked payments. Please make sure you have the correct amount for the month you are paying. You may call for an updated amount if needed. If you chose to pay by check, certified funds or money order please mail all delinquent tax payments to: Allegany County Treasurer 7 Court Street, Room #134 Belmont, NY 14813. If you need to pay cash, please call our office to make an appointment for a cash payment.
- Certificates of residency for community colleges should be mailed to us for certification and we will mail them back to you. Please include a copy of your current driver’s license for verification and make sure the application is notarized.
- All other services such as tax searches. copies of tax bills or duplicate receipts or any other questions you may have can be emailed to the office staff. Our emails and phone numbers are available on the county website www.alleganyco.com. Use the drop down menu under government and you will find the Treasurer’s page.
As of March 17, 2020, we will be operating with essential employees only. Our office phone number is 585- 268-9289. We will be glad to help you and at the same time ensure the health and safety of the public and our employees. Thank you for your understanding under these unusual times.
Account Clerk/Tax Staff
Contact us for all your important tax -related questions!
ASSESSORS/ COLLECTORS CONTACT INFORMATION
Seen below are the months in which the specified bill should arrive and is payable without interest.
- Village – June
- School – September
- Town & County – January
If you have moved make sure to make address changes with the assessor for the town in which your property/ properties are located. Address changes do take time and is up to the property owner to call and make changes. If you haven’t received your bill you must contact the collector for a copy of the bill you seek to pay.
*All delinquent taxes are payable to the Allegany County Treasurer
7 Court St., Room 134, Belmont, New York 14813
8:30am – 4:00pm
2018 Delinquent Property Tax redemption date closed.
Final date of Redemption was January 15th 2020.
If you have questions or concerns contact our office.
Community College Information
When can you submit your application?
No earlier than 60 Days prior to first day of the semester.
No later than 45 Days after first day of semester.
Do you qualify?
You must be a New York State Resident for one year.
Certificates may pro-rated between counties if you have not lived in Allegany County for six consecutive months.
For non-citizen applications please call or stop in the office.
Frequently Asked Questions
- May I pay my oldest delinquent tax bill first?
- No , Real Tax Law section 1112 allows payment of one tax lien at a time but it must be the most recent delinquent tax. (https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/RPT/1112)
- How can I apply for an exemption?
- Contact your local town assessor for application process.
- Questions on property assessments?
- The local town assessor is the best person to contact.
- Where do I change mailing address or name on a property?
- If a name chance occurs due to: marriage, divorce, or death, the assessor can make updates to names for the assessment/tax roll only.
- If you need to change mailing address call local town assessor.
- For legal changes in owner(s) or legal modification of owner name requires contacting the County Clerk’s Office.