County Clerk

Court Filings


Pursuant to Administrative Order AO/78/20 by Hon. Lawrence K. Marks, Chief Administrative Judge of the Courts, dated March 22, 2020, no papers shall be filed by a county clerk or a court in any matter unless it is an essential proceeding. This directive applies to both paper and electronic filings, and is effective immediately until further notice.

Essential proceedings for Supreme Court include:

  • Mental Hygiene Law (MHL) applications and hearings addressing patient retention or release
  • MHL hearings addressing the involuntary administration of medication and other medical care
  • Newly filed MHL applications for an assisted outpatient treatment (AOT) plan
  • Emergency applications in guardianship matters
  • Temporary orders of protection (including but not limited to matters involving domestic violence)
  • Emergency applications related to the coronavirus
  • Emergency Election Law applications
  • Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPO)

Click here for the full text of Administrative Order AO/78/20.

Starting an Action

To commence an action in Supreme & County Courts, an “Application for Index Number” must be submitted with your initial documents. Click “Application For Index Number” for a blank, printable application.


The County Clerk’s office does not have forms! You or your attorney must prepare all forms for filing. County Clerk staff cannot assist, as we do not give legal advice.

For Do-It-Yourself (DIY) forms, please visit the NY Courts website, here.

Uncontested Divorce DIY Program

Please visit the NY Courts website to begin the DIY program for Uncontested Divorce, here.


Please consult our Fee Schedule here.

Legal Assistance

The County Clerk’s office does not give legal advice. We suggest that you consult an attorney for assistance.

Below are some helpful links to find legal help in your area: