Economic Development

Business Resources and Locations


2017 Business Seminars

The Allegany County Offices of Planning & Development are partnering with the Greater Allegany County Chamber of Commerce to bring our small business owners several different seminars on start-ups and business how-to’s over the next year. Please check back often to see what we will be offering!

Local Resources For Your Business  –  Seminar offered March 2, 2017 at The Crossroads Commerce Center in Belmont, NY

Business Start Up

In order to start a new business in New York State, a company must comply with a number of requirements. The type of business, location and number of employees will determine what must be completed. Here is some general information to get you started.

  • Decide the legal structure of the company:
    • Sole Proprietorship: Each sole proprietorship that is doing business under a name (DBA) other than its full legal name must register the trade name with Allegany County Clerk’s Office located at 7 Court Street, Room 213 in Belmont, NY 14813. For more information, please visit their website: Click here for a PDF of the DBA certificate.
    • Partnership: A partnership that does business under a name other that its full legal name must also register with Allegany County Clerk’s Office.
    • Corporation, Limited Partnership, and Limited Liability Company (LLC): To file this legal structure there are several things that a company must do. 1) Check on available business names with the Secretary of State, 2) Register a trade name, and 3) File articles of incorporation for a corporation, file articles of organization for an LLC, or file a certificate of limited partnership.
  • Local and NYS license/permit requirements:
    • Cities and counties may also require business licenses. Call the County Clerk at (585)268-9270 to get specific requirement
    • Visit the NYS License Center at for additional information on permits and licenses required by NYS.
  • Check local zoning laws to make sure you are not in violation of local zoning ordinances. A map can be found at
  • Taxes:
    • Federal Taxes and Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN): An EIN is required if you are opening a bank account, forming a corporation or a partnership, plan on hiring employees, or maintaining assets. To file an EIN please visit
    • Property Taxes: Property taxes must be paid on real and business personal property.
    • Income Taxes: “C” Corporations report business income and expenses to the IRS on a corporate return. Sole Proprietors, Partnerships, “S” Corporations and LLC’s report business income and expenses to the IRS as part of personal income tax and file estimated tax payments with the IRS. A self-employment tax must also be paid on net earnings of $400 or more. Corporations must file a state franchise tax report and pay franchise tax for each calendar year the corporation exists. Visit for more information and taxes and the IRS.
  • If you plan to hire employees:
    • Obtain an EIN (as described above), and call your insurance agency to obtain Workers Compensation and Disability Insurance coverage for employees.
    • NYS Unemployment Insurance is also a requirement for paid wages of $300 or more. Call (716) 851-2600 or visit
    • Don’t forget about the NYS Withholding Tax Guide and the Employers Tax Guide for information on NYS withholding forms and the federal form W-4.
    • Employment Eligibility Verification must be processed using form I-9, based on the Immigration and Naturalization Service Reform and Control Act of 1986. Visit for more information.
    • The Occupational Safety and Health Administration at provides federal regulations that protect the safety and health of employees.
  • Build a team of advisors:
    • Your banker for help with funding
    • Your accountant for record keeping and tax strategies
    • An insurance provider for your businesses insurance needs
    • Your lawyer to review and advise on legal documents, as well as general advise
  • Open a business checking account:
    • It is important to maintain a separate business account from your personal account. Typically, the bank requires a certified copy of your DBA, or a copy of your incorporation papers with corporate seal.
  • Install a business phone line:
    • This entitles you to a business listing, while allowing you to maintain your privacy at home.
  • Announcements:
    • Send announcements to your friends, potential clients, and local media outlets.


The Allegany County Comprehensive Plan promotes a focus on developing areas within the county to support, attract and expand new and existing businesses.

Available commercial sites in Allegany County

If you know of a property that is appropriate for commercial or industrial use and would like to submit it to our business site inventory, there is no fee to be included. All contacts and negotiations will continue to go through the owner and/or broker.

Call Michelle Denhoff at 585-268-7153, or e-mail her to discuss location details.

Special attention is given to development of the I-86-Rt. 19 Crossroads, Rt. 20 between Friendship and Belvidere, and the Rt. 417 East Corridor near Wellsville.

Industrial Parks

IncubatorWorks is an organization that supports economic development in the southern tier of New York State with three locations in Alfred, Corning and Elmira. The Alfred campus is 30,000 sq ft, two-story technical facility that is subdivided into laboratory and office space. It is located one mile from Alfred University and sits on Rt. 244, Main Street of Alfred, NY.

Sugar Hill Industrial Park in Alfred is owned by a not-for-profit agency that is engaged in developing a ceramic and glass business park. Home of the NYS College of Ceramics, Glass and Materials Science programs at Alfred University, and Alfred State College, this is a great location to recruit skilled workers and create a successful, hi-tech business. There are currently two buildings on this 81 acre site, with one available for purchase.

The Wellsville Airport Industrial Park has over 100 acres ready for development with existing infrastructure and build to suit options. There is currently a 15,000 sq ft building utilized for plane maintenance that is sub-dividable.  The newly built Lufkin/RMT building is also located here.