Social Services

Vicki Grant, Commissioner

Julie Tomasi, Deputy Commissioner

Allegany County Department of Social Services
7 Court Street
County Office Bldg. Rm. 127
Belmont, NY  14813
Fax: 585.268.9479
Phone: 585.268.9622

Leadership Philosophy

“Strengthen workers by building quality relationships, fostering open two-way communication, and providing the training, tools and resources to create empowered and effective professionals.”


Department Mission

“We preserve families, protect individuals,
and promote self-sufficiency.”


Medical Transportation
Phone: 877.629.8104

Adult Services

Services Division
7 Court Street
Belmont, NY 14813

Phone: 585.268.9316
Fax: 585.268.9415

Our Services division assists those who may be homeless, in need of food or clothing, or have various other types of emergency needs. We provide some emergency services directly, making referrals to other providers as required to meet the needs of the individual or family.

Drug and Alcohol Screening

Drug and alcohol screening and assessment are predominantly designed for recipients of financial or medical assistance from our Department. A Certified Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor meets individually with referred adults to determine if an alcohol or substance problem will interfere with employment. If so, referrals are made to local agencies specializing in the treatment of these diseases. Participation in such treatment is required for continued receipt of benefits.

Linkage Services

Caseworkers are available to assist anyone with unmet needs and are knowledgeable about services available in and around Allegany County. We are skilled at directing people to appropriate resources to assist with such issues as domestic violence, mental health, developmental disabilities, and landlord-tenant disputes, to name just a few.

Information and Referral

2-1-1 HELPLINE provides comprehensive information and referral services for Allegany County, connecting callers to available services, programs and volunteer opportunities throughout the region. Dial 2-1-1 (or 800.346.2211)

Adult Protection
Food Pantries
Nursing Home Care

Child Protective & Preventive Services


Reports of potential child abuse or neglect may be made by calling 800.342.3720.

Unfortunately, many American children are abused or neglected each year. The Department of Social Services maintains a team of highly skilled Child Protective Services (CPS) investigators who make personal visits to reportedly abusive or neglectful homes. Investigators interview parents, children, neighbors, school teachers, and others who have information. CPS works closely with the police in investigations of potential criminal actions.

Child Abuse Prevention Services

When our CPS unit finds actual or potential child abuse or neglect, the Department strives to prevent future problems by providing services to the family. Such services generally include home visits and parenting information and assistance, with specialized instruction or assistance in other areas provided as needed. Services are provided by trained caseworkers from the Department of Social Services and partner agencies.

For more information on child abuse, click on this link to the New York State Office of Child & Family Services.

Child Support Unit

Temporary Assistance

Non-parent caregivers, who are caring for children without a parent living in their home, may be eligible for Temporary Assistance. Temporary Assistance for children not living with a parent is often referred to as “non-parent caregiver” or “child-only” grants, and includes Medical Assistance (MA). If the non-parent caregiver wants assistance only for the children, the non-parent caregiver’s income is not used to determine eligibility and there are no Temporary Assistance work requirements for the non-parent caregiver. Non-parent caregivers may apply for temporary assistance at their local social services office.

In addition to financial assistance, non-parent caregivers (also called kinship caregivers) often have a need for information and assistance related to SNAP, the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), custody, guardianship, foster care, adoption, schooling, school enrollment, and other forms of assistance such as child care, social security, respite, case management and service programs.

For information about services and assistance programs please visit the following websites: – The NYS Kinship Navigator’s website offers legal fact sheets, state and local kinship resources, and other information. In addition, the Navigator operates a toll free phone line at 1-877-454- 6463. Kinship Specialists are available from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. A message may be left during non-business hours and calls will be returned when business hours resume. – The NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA). – MyBenefits is an online tool to help you learn about eligibility for financial assistance and other benefit programs. A simple, 10-minute prescreening from any computer with Internet access at any time, determines whether you are likely to qualify for SNAP, HEAP, the Earned Income Tax Credit, child dependent care credits, school lunch and other programs. – The NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) provides contact information and links to the Kinship Caregiver Programs funded through OCFS, as well as a variety of resources for families and staff, including the Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program (KinGAP), a subsidy program available to kinship caregivers who are foster parents.

Your local Social Services District (SSD) and local area Office for the Aging (OFA) are also resources for information on kinship care.

Child Assistance
Finance Assistance
Medical Assistance
Employment Assistance
Nutrition Assistance
Fraud Investigations

2015 Annual Report

SNAP/Food Stamps

Foster Care

Adoption Services